Thursday, October 3, 2013

A House Divided: The Road to Iowa

Santorum to Cruz: "Let's not split the conservative vote"
Chris Bradford, ANN Contributor
23 October 2015, updated 2:47 PM EST

Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum is clearly trying to avoid many mistakes he made in 2012, and is getting his campaigning off to a very strong start. He has participated in a number of town halls across the state of Iowa over the course of the past few days, and is trying to garner support among rural Evangelical conservatives. He spoke about keeping "traditional social values" and "undoing the damage of the Obama administration" in regards to Obamacare and the regulations placed on Wall Street. Santorum is trying to build upon his Base from the Iowa caucus in 2012, where he won a plurality in the popular vote. His polling has increased due to these trips, but today it has garnered a lot of attention due to the fact that he made a call at one of his meetings for Ted Cruz, who is still on the fence about a presidential run, to keep out.

He spoke about how important it was for a "ideologically pure" candidate to be picked by the Republican Party over a "wishy-washy moderate," and that in order for that to happen, he wanted to prevent any other conservative from entering the race to prevent infighting and vote splitting so that they have a better shot at winning the nomination. There are multiple potential conservative candidates that could enter the race, but the major one is Senator Ted Cruz. Theoretical polling is placing support for a Cruz candidacy higher than a Santorum one, which could be one reason why Santorum made these remarks. Senator Cruz has replied only by saying that "he is weighing his options," and that "healthy competition keeps politicians sharp."
----------


"The Republican field lacks someone with common sense paired with the drive and the willingness to compromise in order to get things done in our deadlocked Congress. I have come to understand how I can get Washington to turn its wheels once again, but I cannot bring my ideas to fruition while remaining in Congress. Even though I have been honored to represent the people of Alaska, I hope that they can support my candidacy for the presidency of the United States.”
-Senator Lisa Murkowski in Anchorage, Alaska on October 25, 2015

“I have come here today to announce that I will not be running for president. I have loved to serve as the governor of the state of New Mexico, and I do not want to leave this state and put my family, especially my sister, under the stresses of an international campaign. For these reasons, I have decided that my family is more important to me, and that I will support whoever the Republican Party chooses.”
-Governor Susana Martinez in Santa Fe, New Mexico on October 28, 2015
----------


“I have seen how much deadlock there is in Washington, and I know that the people are fed up with it. The state of Colorado, a tossup in presidential elections, has re-elected me to Congress, and they have seen my ability to compromise while still getting things done. We need somebody who can continue President Obama’s progress while accelerating the pace of it and getting even more done. That is why I have made the decision to run for President of the United States.
-Senator Mark Udall in Pueblo, Colorado on October 25, 2015

“Many people have asked whether or not I will run for president. I have tossed the question to myself and my family a number of times, and I have finally made my decision that I will not be running. I have been honored to be able to serve as governor of the wonderful state of Colorado, and have decided to endorse Senator Udall for the Democratic nomination.”
-Governor John Hickenlooper in Denver, Colorado on October 26, 2015

“I have been honored to serve the state of Massachusetts through periods of despair and hope. This state has sticked together and become much more prosperous than ever before. I have decided to declare my candidacy for president so I can bring the prosperity of Massachusetts to the nation and bring America into a new era.”
-Governor Deval Patrick in Boston, Massachusetts on October 27, 2015
----------

 POLLING CENTER
-October 27, 2015-

The latest round of polling results are in for the developing 2016 presidential race, and the polls are only becoming closer. Both leaders have dropped with the entrance of more people, but newcomers Udall, Patrick, and Murkowski are all in the bottom of the pack. The only person who has experienced a noticeable increase since last polling cycle is Santorum, who has been boosted by his very public appearances in town hall meetings.

 

These polling numbers are not exactly reflective of what polls in Iowa look like. Udall and Murkowski, currently in the back of the pack nationally, are both polling very well in Iowa. Governor Christie, who has faced enormous speculation leading up to this election season, is falling in Iowa with Murkowski close behind. Even though he has a lead looking towards New Hampshire, he is quickly falling in Iowa which could enormously damage him.

ANN IOWA CAUCUS DEMOCRATIC TRACKING
Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota- 27%
Governor Martin O'Malley of Maryland- 26%
Senator Mark Udall of Colorado- 20%
Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts- 11%
Undecided- 13%

ANN IOWA CAUCUS REPUBLICAN TRACKING
Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky- 23%
Fmr. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania- 23%
Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey- 20%
Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska- 17%
Undecided- 19%

No comments:

Post a Comment